50g ground almonds
50g | 3 1/2oz (caster) sugar
50g | 3 1/2oz icing (powdered) sugar
1 tsp lemon juice or vanilla extract
Buttercream to fill ( I used the pre-made Betty Crocker one)
- Preheat the oven to 180C
- Place in a bowl and mix the almonds and icing sugar.
- Put the egg whites and powdered egg (if using) into a bowl. Start mixing slowly at first, then at highest speed until the egg whites form firm peaks. Start adding the sugar, slowly,whisking until each spoonful is completely incorporated before adding the next. Continue until all the sugar is in and the meringue is glossy and thick. Add the colour and mix it in. (N.B the easiest way to know if your meringue has firm peaks is you should be able to turn the bowl upside down and it not fall out)
- Tip the nut mixture into the meringue and fold it in using a silicone spatula. Mix it well.
- To test for the right consistency. Drop a spoonful of batter back into the bowl. If the batter starts to slowly spread out it is ready – do not mix anymore.
- Put batter in piping
- Pipe the macarons spacing them apart on the tray.
- Bang the trays on a counter top, then leave them out for 30 minutes to dry.
- Bake for 14 mins. When the macarons are ready they should relatively easily come of the baking sheet.
- Fill with buttercream
I have found that using a silicone sheet rather than baking paper makes it much easier to get the macarons off (this is especially helpful when you are macarons for the first time)
Happy baking :)